http://shoutingloudly.blogspot.com/atom.xml/

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Phila Weekly covers FreeCulture protest

In today's Philadelphia Weekly, on page 18, there's a picture of me holding a flyer that says "Are you buying a dangerous CD?"

Flyering in front of Tower Records

The story, Copy Cats, is another great media clipping covering the antics of FreeCulture.org.

Saturday, we were protesting outside Tower Records on South St.

We believe that the major music labels are using deceptive business practices and stealing legal rights from consumers. They cripple more and more new CDs with digital rights management technologies. In the most egregious case, Sony infected millions of computers by installing malicious, hidden software (a "rootkit") onto Windows computers of users who merely inserted a Sony music CD.

I have to publicly admit that, even though I am the one pictured, I deserve little credit for the protest. FreeCulture Swarthmore students organized it; I just showed up.

I guess I was the most menacing presence. As noted in the article, I "embarrassed" the other students and pissed off the Tower Records management.

This is just further proof that, for a group dedicated to information policy wonkdom , FCo sure is good at landing earned media.

Update: this story is now also on BoingBoing; here's the link. Thanks, Cory.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home