http://shoutingloudly.blogspot.com/atom.xml/

Thursday, October 20, 2005

"Format Wars" a Losing Battle

There's been a lot of hubbub in the video game industry regarding what DVD format the next-generation systems will be using—HD DVD or Blu-Ray, either of which should have significantly increased capacity over the current DVD format. This doesn't just affect home gaming consoles, of course, as the success of one format over another could determine what next year's DVD players can run. (Think VHS vs. Beta, and feel free to check out this PC World article for a basic rundown of the issues here.) I'm getting the impression that copy protection capabilities is one of the major concerns being batted around by game industry execs in settling on a format.

Imagine my surprise, then, when Bill Gates announces that this particular format war is yesterday's news; the future is in digital distribution. Ah, that's right—I had forgotten all the talk of Microsoft's sneaky plans to distribute games directly into Xbox consoles connected to the internet, bypassing retailers completely. Perhaps the hope is that this will discourage piracy, as many Xbox users probably aren't aware of how easy it is to "soft mod" their consoles so that games downloaded onto PCs can be stored on the Xbox hard drive.

9 Comments:

At 9:28 PM, Blogger Jason said...

Update: I changed the words "copy protection" to "piracy" at one point in the last paragraph because I just wrote the wrong phrase altogether there.

I did not have the heart to cover up my crime after leaving it in full view of the world for a whole day.

 
At 9:29 PM, Blogger Command Center said...

Good Habits
by: make money with adsense

Being successful, whether personal or business
requires good habits. It is just like trying
to do well in school. You have to have good
study habits in order to do well on tests. It
is the same for the business world. You need
to do your “homework.” Read the newspaper,
scout out opportunities, and take time each
day to dedicate specifically to your endeavor.

make money with adsense

 
At 9:29 PM, Blogger Susan Hanson said...

The scourge of Blog Spam
Splogs. Google’s Blogger blog-creation tool and BlogSpot hosting service, together the most popular free blogging service on the Web, “fell victim this past weekend to the biggest splog attack yet ...
Find out how you can buy and sell anything, like things related to private road construction on interest free credit and pay back whenever you want! Exchange FREE ads on any topic, like private road construction!

 
At 1:23 PM, Blogger freenanoipod said...

I did not realise that blogs could be so informative. I have been browsing and reading all day -- Very addictive.

I am going to set up a blog for my own site ipod nano! I have a lot to of information to share. The link to read should be
live soon. If you have an interest in the ipod nano I would love to hear what you think of my site :-)

 
At 8:03 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a Free Ipod Nano site/blog. It pretty much covers free mp3 player for nokia 6600 related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

 
At 5:43 PM, Blogger freenanoipod said...

Want a free ipod nano? visit free ipod nano

 
At 6:12 AM, Blogger Shawn T Lippert said...

Thank you for the informative blog
Here Is some additional
Cell Phone Games Resources for most Cell Phones if you or your readers are interested.

 
At 7:08 AM, Blogger James Baker said...

Hi Blogger! I like your blog! Keep up the
good work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here!
If you have a moment, please take a look at my site:
verbatim dvd rw
It pretty much covers verbatim dvd rw related issues.
Best regards!

 
At 4:41 PM, Blogger Britt Phillips ComputerMillions.com said...

I recently found http://www.1shoppingcart.com/app/?Clk=1482141 Google AdSense and can't say enough great things about it. My adsense and adwords accounts make me very proud today and again I owe it all to Google AdSense

 

Post a Comment

<< Home